The KIT iCON (Keep In Touch intelligent Connector Device) acts as a USB-to-Bluetooth bridge between a LifeScan glucose meter (Verio IQ) and a Smartphone. It supports dual mode Bluetooth connectivity. Thus, it is able to communicate with a smartphone either in Classic Mode (withBluetooth Version <4.0) or in Bluetooth Low Energy Mode (withBluetooth Version ≥ 4.0).
- Wireless connectivity
- Dual Mode Bluetooth support (classic and low energy)
- Connection handover via NFC
- Standardized integration to mHealth Apps
- Bluetooth HDP + ISO/IEEE 11073-10417
- Bluetooth GATT + glucose profile/service
- Integrated energy management
- Rechargeable battery (via standard micro USB)
- Battery state indication
How to integrate iCON to your App: KIT-iCON_Basic-Fact-Sheet_1.0
The iCON can be interrogated by an App by means of two standardized communication protocols. One is based on Bluetooth Classic and uses the Health Device Profile (HDP) in conjunction with the ISO/IEEE 11073 communication stack for point-of-care medical device communication. The other way is based on the Bluetooth version (4.0) and uses Bluetooth Low Energy technology. The used communication protocol (glucose profile/service) was specified by the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) and is based on standard GATT specifications.
A single button operation initiates the transmission of glucose measurements (from the memory of the connected glucose meter) to an App running on the smartphone. If the Smartphone supports NFC, a single tap with the Smartphone onto the iCON triggers this process automatically by means of a connection handover procedure (NFC to Bluetooth).
The iCON’s internal rechargeable Latium Polymer battery can be charged via micro USB cable. It also charges the connected glucose meter. The battery state condition can be displayed within the App but also by the iCON itself (LED indication).
iCON is fully compatible with OneTouch Verio IQ from LifeScan, Johnson&Johnson.
The iCON was developed in cooperation with
- Abatec Electronic Solutions (Manufacturing, Distribution)
- Spath MicroElectronicDesign GmbH (Technical implementation)
- LifeScan Johnson&Johnson (Business partner)